Me

Me

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A long time ago, in a kitchen far away....

Finally the post I have built up (hopefully not too much haha) accidentally, Star Wars Pancakes. Knowing my love for all things Star Wars, my dear husband bought me these awesome Star Wars pancake molds (from William Sonoma) for Christmas. I can't believe it took me this long to finally use them, but I did and the results weren't too shabby.



The pancake recipe that I am going to give you is my go to recipe that I modified to be vegan. It has relatively low sugar and really you can use whatever flour you'd like in it. When I normally make these pancakes (pre-star wars molds) I add chunks of strawberries and bananas or blueberries and lemon zest. I haven't tried adding the fruit with the molds yet, as it would ruin the look, instead you can always make a compote out of the fruit and use it that way. The great thing about this pancake mix, is that you'll have 2 more servings to set aside and use on a rainy day (allowing you not to have to purchase pre-made mixes from the store, something I always strive to do).

Pancake Mix Recipe
1 1/2 Cups All purpose flour (or gluten free flour of your choice)
1 1/2 Cups Whole wheat pastry flour
6 Tbsp Yellow cornmeal
6 Tbsp Sugar (or your favorite natural sugar replacement coconut sugar, raw sugar, beet sugar, stevia...ect)
1 Tbsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1. Combine all of the ingredients together measure out 1 1/3 Cup and store the rest in a cool dry place to use on another day.

Vegan Pancakes
1 1/3 Pancake mix (you just made)
1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 Cup You choice milk** (I use almond, you can use soy, rice, hemp...ect)
1/4 Cup Water (now be careful here I usually use half the amount of water asked for and add more if I find the batter to be too thick....otherwise you'll end up with watery thing pancakes)
1/2 Cup applesauce** (I use my kids apple sauce cups as they usually end up measuring 1/2 cup)
1 Tbsp Oil (you can use whatever oil you'd like, I use coconut oil and would advise using a healthier oil that doesn't have too strong a flavor)
1 tsp Vanilla extract

** These are the only two substitutions that make this meal vegan. I use the almond milk to replace normal milk. You can also use a cap full of apple cider vinegar in the almond milk to get a buttermilk flavor effect. I use the applesauce as an egg replacement. You can use just about any pureed fruit as an egg replacement.**

1. Combine the pancake mix and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl combine the milk, water, applesauce, oil, and vanilla. Pour the liquid into the pancake mix and mix until there are no chunks left.
NOTE- This is the time you'll decide if you need to use the rest of your water or not, if it looks way too thick then slowly add some more and mix.. repeat if necessary.

If you decide to add fruit and make non molded pancakes do that now by folding them in gently

2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray or wipe with some of the oil you used earlier. Measure out 1/4 scoop fulls of batter and pour on skillet. These generally don't take too long to cook, so just keep an eye on them. Get them to the browned color of your choice and flip. With the molds you want to ensure you grease it thoroughly before pouring in the batter. They will want to stick, so when you think it's time for them to turn use the hilt end of a butter knife to push them out.

Time to eat!! We usually use a dark agave syrup on these to help keep the sugar intake down, but if you can always top with honey, fruit, or real maple syrup.

I hope you all enjoy!!! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

May the force be with you...





No comments:

Post a Comment